maven-m2-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@maven.org>
Subject Re: idea: collector+executor vs reactor
Date Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:02:59 GMT
On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 02:18, Brett Porter wrote:
> I think Vincent's idea is a good idea - for non-default configurations.
>
> I'd kind of like to just chuck an -r at it and have it work, and thus
> have the top level pom both the inheritence root and the master build
> (where master build is not actually customised).
>
> For the concept of a "master build" that requires some customisation
> that doesn't sit with inheritence, I don't want a separate project like
> we have now if possible. I think the workspace/solution concept that is
> being proposed can work out here - grouping some projects together and
> defining master build behaviour.
>
> Here is another related bug: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVEN-1314
>
> I think its worth discussing the use cases here some more - perhaps
> getting some ideas together on confluence?

Really a reactored build should work in exactly the same way for all
builds with multiple projects. There are several now that I'm using as
test cases now: Plexus, Continuum, Modello, Geronimo. All of these
ultimately should be setup the same way and produce similiar result
under the reactor.

Where customization is necessary I think the natural for this to be done
in m2 is the use of a plugin. A reactored build across different
projects should not be radically different. What happens after that in
terms of integration tests, packaging, QA or whatever else can be
encapsualted in a custom plugin.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl