maven-m2-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@maven.org>
Subject RE: idea: collector+executor vs reactor
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:50:44 GMT
On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 06:10, Vincent Massol wrote:

> I also had this idea some time back of having Solutions in Maven. A solution
> would be defined in a solution.xml (a SOM - Solution Object Model). A
> solution would encompass several project and defined stuff for representing
> a set of projects.

Do you have an example in mind. Currently I'm looking at large builds
like Plexus and Geronimo when trying to sort out usabiltiy issues when
you've got 50+ projects.

Under what conditions would like to use "solutions" information?

> It has the nice advantage of separation of concerns and decoupling a
> project. I'm not sure we can tweak a POM to represent a set of projects. We
> can of course, but it sounds like tweaking and thus adding several
> properties to POM that will not be used by projects, etc. OTOH, introducing
> a SOM is more complex.
>
> So it all depends on how many properties exclusive to Solutions we can think
> about.
>
> It also depends whether we want to add support for multiproject in M2 or
> whether this is something best handled by another tool on top (e.g
> continuum).

There is a reactor in m2 which is simply invoked with "-r":

m2 -r jar:install

> Anyway, just an idea...

Could you possibly expand a little more with an example of what you're
think a solution set might contain or be used for?

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org