maven-m2-dev mailing list archives

From John Casey <jdca...@commonjava.org>
Subject Re: the use of a maven.properties file for maven.repo.local
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:42:01 GMT
The problem that I see with the current setup is that overrides.xml is a
POM...or at least, it's read using the model reader. This means that
anything we specify in overrides.xml can reasonably be expected to be
legal in any old project POM. If you specify an environment-specific
setting like maven.repo.local or java.home, your POM is non-portable;
it's that simple.

But there are deeper problems than this. Say I specify the local repo in
my project POM, and the inheritance actually leads to maven using this
locally-overridden value. Now, the local repo was used to resolve all of
my parent POMs, and then the local repo was switched. Anything I
resolved/downloaded during that process (POMs, artifacts of any kind)
must now be re-downloaded to the NEW local repo. I would argue the same
problem with the remote repo, but I think the reasons for allowing
project-override of the default remote repos list is too compelling to
ignore.

Why do we need to place local-environment settings in the POM, when
specification of these settings (a) is not essential for proper maven
functioning (local properties file is a good alternative), and (b) will
virtually guarantee non-portability.

My java.home is: /usr/java/jdk/current

What is yours? If you're using windows, our shared POM is broken.

-john