maven-m2-dev mailing list archives

From John Casey <jdca...@commonjava.org>
Subject Re: setting jar:install on its head
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:05:24 GMT

> - what "m2 release" means for poms with <version>0.16</version> (not
> <version>0.16-SNAPSHOT</version>

why do we need to specify x.x-SNAPSHOT in the version element? If we
assume that we're producing a snapshot artifact unless we use one of the
myriad *-release goals (proposed, not currently in place), then this is
a useless annotation.

I'd propose that in all cases, we have the "next" version in the POM...

If we're releasing snapshots building toward 0.17, then it's
<version>0.17</version>

Then, everything we build that's not the result of a *-release goal
might look similar to:

myartifact-0.17-20040922.120000-5.jar

as a timestamp, or else using some sort of serial counter.

I just don't understand the value of distinguishing a -SNAPSHOT
versioned POM from a regularly versioned one...unless we assume that
it's legitimate to build both snapshots and releases as part of everyday
development activity for a particular project. I'm not eager to do this.
I think that any place that has a release strategy at all would disagree
with this. Snapshot production should dominate the common usage of maven
by a factor of like 10 to 1, so it stands to reason - to me, at least -
that we should make and widely document the assumption that maven will
build snapshots, UNLESS a *-release goal is fired.

-j