maven-m2-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@maven.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit:maven-components/maven-core/src/test/resources/projects/base-directory-alignmentproject-which-needs-directory-alignment.xml
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:16:03 GMT
On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 10:15, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

> Personnaly, I think it's necessary to have some specific properties by
> project by user in some case.

Definitely, this is what maven.properties would be for. The
maven.properties file would effectively be what the build.properties
file is in maven1.

Any defaults the project wanted to set would be done in the POM.

> It's the case for define an install directory
> of an app server for example, that is specific to the user/project
> environment. A user can use a specific installation of an app server by
> project, so we can't define it in maven.properties and we can't define it in
> pom because it's specific to user environment.

Right, the maven.properties as I am saying it should be used is only for
users. Plugins, projects, groups and sites will strictly use the POM for
configuration and the inheritance mechanism will take care of the
cascading of values, namely properties defined in the POMs.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org