maven-m2-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@maven.org>
Subject RE: artifact types/extensions
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:21:31 GMT
On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 01:15, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Does it mean storing the sources
> directly in the repo in unpackaged format, for example, under:
> <groupId>/sources/artifactId/o.a.m...Something.java ?

It's essentially the source code analog of the local repository. The
directory where you develop, or your working directory. You probably
work in a similiar way right now where you keep all your projects under
a single directory. This would just be a more formal way which would
allow you to makes references to other projects in the unified source
i.e. not having to install something in the repo first in order to know
where it is. Some users might be:

- finding inherited POMs in the unified source tree itself using the new
<parent/> element we have in the v4 POM.

- "m2 --setup plexus" and maven knowing where to checkout the sources
and set them up.

- CI systems being able to references JARs produced by dependent
projects.

But ultimately it is another step at trying to formalize the development
environment and see as a way to get a developer on a team setup in a
matter of minutes.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl