maven-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Matthew Compton (Jira)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Created] (ARCHETYPE-609) Using common Velocity template breaks with version 3.2.0
Date Mon, 31 Aug 2020 21:24:00 GMT
Matthew Compton created ARCHETYPE-609:
-----------------------------------------

             Summary: Using common Velocity template breaks with version 3.2.0
                 Key: ARCHETYPE-609
                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARCHETYPE-609
             Project: Maven Archetype
          Issue Type: Bug
          Components: Plugin
    Affects Versions: 3.2.0
         Environment: macOS Mojave 10.14.6
            Reporter: Matthew Compton
         Attachments: archetype-fail.tar.gz

The recently released version 3.2.0 of the Maven Archetype Plugin has broken an archetype
I created. I have confirmed my archetype still works with version 3.1.2 of the plugin but
my team and I normally run {{mvn archetype:generate ...}} just so we don’t have to specify
a particular version of the plugin, but now Maven will pick up the 3.2.0 version of the plugin
and fail. I am aware that using {{mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:3.1.2:generate
...}} will work around the problem, but I’d still like to fix my archetype to work with
the latest version of the plugin.

The problem appears to be that something has changed with how the class path/resources are
setup with the Velocity template engine when rendering templates. I tried looking through
the release notes but it just looks like version numbers were bumped, so I doesn’t seem
like this was an intentional change in behavior.

The source of the problem is my archetype has a common {{META-INF/common-variable-definitions.vm}} that
contains variables that are used in multiple files within the archetype. This worked great
with earlier versions of the archetype plugin, each template that needed the common variable
definitions simply needed  a {{#parse( "META-INF/common-variable-definitions.vm”}} ) at
the top of the file and then all of the usual replacements that were needed are available.
Now, with the 3.2.0 version of the plugin I get the following error:
{noformat}
...
[ERROR] ResourceManager : unable to find resource 'archetype-resources/META-INF/common-variable-definitions.vm'
in any resource loader.
[ERROR] #parse(): cannot find template 'archetype-resources/META-INF/common-variable-definitions.vm',
called at archetype-resources/pom.xml[line 1, column 1]
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Total time:  1.327 s
[INFO] Finished at: 2020-08-26T16:28:24-07:00
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:3.2.0:integration-test
(default-integration-test) on project demo-archetype: 
[ERROR] Archetype IT 'basic' failed: Error merging velocity templates: Unable to find resource
'archetype-resources/META-INF/common-variable-definitions.vm'
[ERROR] -> [Help 1]
[ERROR] 
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e switch.
[ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.
[ERROR] 
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following
articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoExecutionException{noformat}
The issue is that the Velocity engine now expects the common definitions file in {{archetype-resources/META-INF}} instead
of a top-level {{META-INF}} directory. I tried moving the file to {{archetype-resources/META-INF/common-variable-definitions.vm}},
but I found that only worked for the “first level”, and it essentially expected that file
to copied into every level of the directory hierarchy of the archetype resources that had
templates to render, which makes trying to do this totally pointless, I might as well copy
the definitions into the top of each file like I had done in a very early version of my archetype.
I also tried using “../“ relative paths (like {{#parse( “../META-INF/common-variable-definitions.vm”
)}}) in files deeper into the directory hierarchy to reference back up to a single common
velocity template, but could not get that to work either.

Is there something I can do to get this working again with version 3.2.0? Or is this no something
that is actually supported and I was just getting lucky before?

To help reproduce the problem I created a simple example project to demonstrate this change
in behavior between the two versions of the Maven Archetype Plugin. The top-level {{pom.xml}} in
the attach tar has the following properties which you can comment/uncomment to switch between
a working and failing version.
{code:xml}
 <properties>
  <project.build.sourceEncoding>UTF-8</project.build.sourceEncoding>
  <!-- This version of archetype plugin works -->
  <!--<maven-archetype-plugin.verson>3.1.2</maven-archetype-plugin.verson>-->
  <!-- This version of archetype plugin does not work -->
  <maven-archetype-plugin.verson>3.2.0</maven-archetype-plugin.verson>
</properties>{code}
If you uncompress the attached tar and call {{mvn clean verify}} you can see how it works
with 3.1.2 and fails with 3.2.0.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian Jira
(v8.3.4#803005)

Mime
View raw message