maven-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Robert Scholte (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Closed] (MCOMPILER-337) Using old-style Jar files with Java9 Module project, Classpath and Module-path are mixed up!
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2018 13:05:00 GMT

     [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MCOMPILER-337?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel
]

Robert Scholte closed MCOMPILER-337.
------------------------------------
    Resolution: Not A Problem
      Assignee: Robert Scholte

> Using old-style Jar files with Java9 Module project, Classpath and Module-path are mixed
up!
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: MCOMPILER-337
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MCOMPILER-337
>             Project: Maven Compiler Plugin
>          Issue Type: Bug
>    Affects Versions: 3.7.0
>            Reporter: Colbert Philippe
>            Assignee: Robert Scholte
>            Priority: Major
>         Attachments: quebec.lachine.zip
>
>
> I'm trying to use Eclipse (4.8M4) with Maven to practice Java9 module.
> I already contacted Maven to ask what version of Maven to use with Java 9 module feature.
They recommended the latest version: Maven 3.5.0 (latest) with the Maven plug-in: maven-compiler-plugin
3.7.0, which is what I'm using. I'm also using Java JDK 9.
> I want to report a problem with Maven when working with Java 9 module feature. It's not
a big problem but it's big enough to prevent the use of Maven with Java 9 modules. The problem
is with Maven, when used under Eclipse.   I create Maven projects under Eclipse for speed.
> I created two identical projects with Java 9 module. The two projects make use of a few
old-style Jar files by importing them as default module (as prescribed by the makers of Java
9). The jar files are: ant.jar, commons-beanutils-1.9.3.jar, commons-collections4-4.1.jar,
commons-lang3-3.7.jar.
>  * The first project is a small project built from the command-line with a text-editor.
It's a Java 9 module project (has a module-info.java) and makes use of these 4 libray jar
files in the manner prescribed by the Java 9 documentation. This project compiles and works.
All Jar files are put the the module-path of the project and their respective 'requires' statement
is in the module-info.java file. (see below)
>  
> {code:java}
> module canada.ontario {
>   exports canada.ontario;
>   requires org.apache.commons.lang3;
>   requires commons.collections4;
>   requires commons.beanutils;
> }
> {code}
>  * 
>  ** The second project is identical to the first one but is built using Maven (versions
specified above) created under Eclipse. The project as created as intended based on Maven
guidelines. First a parent project was created with packaging set with pom. The a child-project
was created for the module.
> After the child-project was created, in the child-project POM file, I entered the full
plug-in entries to use the new 'maven-compiler-plugin' version 3.7.0. This works because we
can see its use on the compiling log display messages.
> On Eclipse Workspace view, I selected the parent project root (previously created), right
clicking on the parent project, then selecting 'Maven', then selecting 'New Maven Module Project'.
This creates a Maven child project for the new module.
>  - I created a 'module-info.java' with the name of the module (canada.ontario) in the
src directory.
>  - I also created a package with the same name as the module (canada.ontario).
>  - I entered the same 'exports' and 'requires' statements as displayed above.
>  - I also entered all the Maven dependencies to each of the four (4) libraries stated
above. I got these dependencies from the Maven repository.
>  - I also enabled full compile-time log-message diplay, in order to get maximum information.
> HERE IS THE PROBLEM WHEN COMPILING THIS SECOND MAVEN CHILD-PROJECT! 
> When compiling the second child-project for the module, there is an error. I have narrowed
down the reason for the error.
> For some unknown reason, the Maven compiler plug-in DOES NOT put all the jar dependencies
under the module-path. It splits the list of dependencies between the classpath and the module-path,
WHICH IS WRONG! (see below)
> {noformat}
> [INFO] Changes detected - recompiling the module!
>  [DEBUG] Classpath: <----- There should be no jar under this Classpath list ***
>  [DEBUG] C:\Users\Colbert Philippe\workspace\montreal\quebec.lachine\target\classes
>  [DEBUG] C:\Users\Colbert Philippe\.m2\repository\org\apache\commons\commons-collections4\4.1\commons-collections4-4.1.jar
>  [DEBUG] C:\Users\Colbert Philippe\.m2\repository\commons-beanutils\commons-beanutils\1.9.3\commons-beanutils-1.9.3.jar
>  [DEBUG] C:\Users\Colbert Philippe\.m2\repository\commons-logging\commons-logging\1.2\commons-logging-1.2.jar
>  [DEBUG] C:\Users\Colbert Philippe\.m2\repository\commons-collections\commons-collections\3.2.2\commons-collections-3.2.2.jar
>  [DEBUG] Modulepath: <----- All jar file dependencies should be under this ModulePath
list ***
>  [DEBUG] C:\Users\Colbert Philippe\.m2\repository\org\apache\commons\commons-lang3\3.7\commons-lang3-3.7.jar
>  [DEBUG] Source roots:
> {noformat}
> This is the source of the error!
> Since putting all the jar files under module-path works in my first hand-created project
works fine. I am certain that this is the cause of the error.
>  
>  
>  



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v7.6.3#76005)

Mime
View raw message