maven-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Tibor Digana (JIRA)" <>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (SUREFIRE-1147) Unbounded memory usage when running MANY tests
Date Mon, 11 May 2015 09:18:02 GMT


Tibor Digana commented on SUREFIRE-1147:

[~chtimi59] I would appreciate if you could open a pull request at GitHub and help us with
fixing with. Any help is always welcome. So for instance finding the root cause, concrete
ideas to fix, tests - all of these speed up the final fix. I am working on old issues in release
2.19 but I want to participate asap.

> Unbounded memory usage when running MANY tests
> ----------------------------------------------
>                 Key: SUREFIRE-1147
>                 URL:
>             Project: Maven Surefire
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: Maven Surefire Plugin
>    Affects Versions: 2.18.1
>         Environment: win7, jdk 8u25, mvn 3.2.5
>            Reporter: Laurent Claisse
>             Fix For: 2.19
>         Attachments: surefire-allocation-traces.png, surefire-leak.png, surefire-leak2.png,
> I'm writing concurrency tests, checking that this thing is reproducible, that other thing
isn't, and so on. So i repeat tests MANY times like 100_000 (to reproduce the leak, the test
project is here:
> I see in VisualVM that the culprit is WrappedReportEntry, which indirectly holds references
to lots of byte[] and char[] (allocation traces and heap dump pics are included in attachment)
> I forked and patched maven-surefire-common, and that makes the leak go. I had to replace
WrappedReportEntry.original by a singleton fake ReportEntry. 
> Bebefore that i had replaced Utf8RecodingDeferredFileOutputStream.deferredFileOutputStream
by a NullOutputStream and the leak was lesser but still here.
> My fork of maven-surefire-common is there:
> It IS a patch so i checked the patch checkbox in the issue reporter, but it is NOT intended
to be distributed of course since it is very brutal and basic.
> Also in my test project i explicitly deactivated reporting, but that doesn't make the
reporting leak go away at all:
> <disableXmlReport>true</disableXmlReport>
> <printSummary>false</printSummary>

This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA

View raw message