maven-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Alexey Yudichev (JIRA)" <j...@codehaus.org>
Subject [jira] (SUREFIRE-799) Allow test parallelisation when forkMode=always
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2012 10:36:07 GMT

    [ https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-799?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=289606#comment-289606
] 

Alexey Yudichev edited comment on SUREFIRE-799 at 1/25/12 4:35 AM:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks nkeywal, one question if you don't mind. I want surefire to fork X JVMs and then spread
the tests across them evenly without re-launching new JVM for every test. Looks like this:{code:xml}
<configuration>
    <forkMode>perthread</forkMode>
    <threadCount>2</threadCount>
</configuration>{code}
runs at most 2 JVMs but still launches new JVM instance for every test. Is it possible to
reuse JVMs? Our integration tests are heavy to initialise and their initialisation is statically
defined, so to avoid re-initialisation there should be JVM reuse.

                
      was (Author: ylexus):
    Thanks nkeywal, one question if you don't mind. I want surefire to fork X JVMs and then
spread the tests across them evenly without re-launching new JVM for every test. Look like
this:{code:xml}
<configuration>
    <forkMode>perthread</forkMode>
    <threadCount>2</threadCount>
</configuration>{code}
runs at most 2 JVMs but still launches new JVM instance for every test. Is it possible to
reuse JVMs? Our integration tests are heavy to initialise and their initialisation is statically
defined, so to avoid re-initialisation there should be JVM reuse.

                  
> Allow test parallelisation when forkMode=always
> -----------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: SUREFIRE-799
>                 URL: https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-799
>             Project: Maven Surefire
>          Issue Type: New Feature
>          Components: process forking
>    Affects Versions: 2.10
>         Environment: all
>            Reporter: nkeywal
>            Assignee: Kristian Rosenvold
>             Fix For: 2.12
>
>         Attachments: surefire_799_212_trunk.patch, surefire_799.v2.patch
>
>
> Surefire already allows:
> - forking
> - parallelization within a JVM
> Mixing both features would mean forking multiple JVM instead of only one.
> It would allow to parallelize tests that need to be executed in a separate JVM (i.e.:
with forkMode=always). Usually these tests take longer than the simple ones. In our case,
40% of the tests are executed in 4 minutes, the other 60% need two hours. So it's obviously
more interesting to parallelize the former, but these ones need to fork.

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators: https://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ContactAdministrators!default.jspa
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

        

Mime
View raw message