maven-doxia-dev mailing list archives

From Vincent Siveton <vincent.sive...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: entities: text or rawText?
Date Mon, 04 May 2009 10:57:07 GMT
Hi Lukas,

2009/5/4 Lukas Theussl <ltheussl@apache.org>:

> Vincent,
>
> I'm trying to understand some of the issues we have with entities in the
> XmlParser. Is there a special reason why entities are emitted as rawText and
> not text?

The text used by XhtmlBaseParser#handleEntity() could contain
predefined entities [1] and numeric code entities (ie &AElig; will
become &#198; by XmlPullParser)
XhtmlBaseSink#text() escapes chars and XhtmlBaseSink#rawText() not.

So using rawText() is to be sure to not escape text with entities.

> I think they should be emitted as text:
>
> First, custom entities can be used to simply define some replacement text
> inside documents (eg <!ENTITY version "1.0">).
>
> Second, the resulting events should be consumable by all sinks, not just
> x(ht)ml based ones. Consider for instance the text "&amp;&AElig;" (where
> AElig is defined as <!ENTITY AElig  "&#198;">). Currently it is emitted by
> the XhtmlBaseParser as one text event "&" and one rawText event "&#198;".
> This means that eg the Latex Sink will produce wrong output (the AElig
> should be converted to "\AE" in latex).
>
> IMO the resolved entity should be emitted in a format-independent way, eg as
> one (unicode?) character, just like &amp; is emitted as one character above.
> The consuming sink then has to transform that into a format-specific
> representation.

It could be another implementation.
XhtmlBaseParser#handleEntity() could unescape xml and call only sink.text()

Cheers,

Vincent

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml11-20040204/#sec-predefined-ent