maven-doxia-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Merging with XWiki and WikiModel
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:29:44 GMT
Howdy,

I've been looking at reporting in Maven 3.x and I've been following
the work that Vincent Massol has been doing over at XWiki where he has
made some attempts at melding Doxia, the XWiki rendering engine, and
WikiModel. You can see the proposal here:

http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/RenderingEngineConvergence

I am looking to remove the Doxia dependency from Maven 3.x so that
reporting is removed from core and just becomes another set of
components. Having Doxia coupled to Maven is not very nice so in the
next couple releases of the Maven 3.x alphas the hard dependency on
Doxia will be removed. This will open the door for anyone who wants to
add a different mechanism. Doxia reports will still work, I'm not
planning on removing the functionality just unbinding it from the
core. But that opens the door for something new!

What I personally think the best path would be is to help what Vincent
has started. There are really only three people here who work on
Doxia, the releases are very slow in coming and I think you would
immediately double or triple the size of the team merging with the
XWiki folks and getting the WikiModel developer as well. This is what
the XWiki folks do all the time and I think you would get some more
velocity in the progress of the project as a whole. Vincent is using
Plexus for his stuff so it's not that wildly different but I think you
would get more visibility over there and a higher degree of
collaboration. I think you would also get a model that is more
complete for things like blogs, wikis, and books.

Any thoughts? I've CC'd Vincent too as I'm not sure he's on this list.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more
examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

   -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks