maven-doxia-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Spencer <pau...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Preparation of Doxia 1.0-beta-1 release
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:29:02 GMT

On Dec 12, 2008, at 10:59 AM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> Hi Vincent
>
> Can we have a quit poll about version numbering. We have had
> discussions
> about this in the past and I'd like to come to a conclusion now that
> the
> release is getting closer.
>
> The proposal that was made earlier was this:
>
> 1. Create an Doxia 1.0 release from the current doxia-1.0-alpha-x
> branch
>
> 2. Release the current trunk as version 1.1 (currently labeled as
> 1.0-beta-1 in JIRA)
>
> One reason for this change would be to get out of the alpha/beta mess.

+1 If both 1.0-alpha-x and 1.0-beta are viable and stable on their own.

> It would also align version numbers nicely with Maven and the Site
> Plugin.
>
> We would the have two parallel tracks:
>
> Track one: Maven 2.0.x + Doxia 1.0.x + Site Plugin 2.0.x
>
> Track two: Maven 2.1.x + Doxia 1.1.x + Site Plugin 2.1.x
>
> This also ties in with the Doxia Release Plan [1]

In general I am not a fan of aligning version number with product you
do not control.  In part because you loose control of the version
numbers.  That said, I do not have a problem with aligning a branch to
a version of another product, like you describe above.

> I will have some time off from work during the holidays and will be
> able
> to help.
>

> WDYT?
>

> [1] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Doxia+Release+Plan