maven-doxia-dev mailing list archives

From Lukas Theussl <ltheu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: releasing 1.0
Date Thu, 01 May 2008 12:28:22 GMT

Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Vincent Siveton wrote:
>
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> 2008/4/28 Jason van Zyl <jason@maven.org>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>  After chatting with Lukas and Vincent on IRC I think if we want to
>>> continue
>>> with changes to Doxia then we should release the 1.0 for the site
>>> plugin and
>>> move on.
>>>
>>>  I know that changes Vincent Massol would like to make are important,
>>> and I
>>> have started to fully decouple the site notions from the core of
>>> doxia. Move
>>> it toward a set of parsers and sinks. Let client code deal with sites,
>>> parser managers, sink managers and whatever else. Tools like the macro
>>> manager can also be added in a more flexible way where those tools are
>>> plugins to the system.
>>

>> DEFINITELY agree on that! I have in mind a plugin way for macro things.
>>
>>>  So how about we release 1.0 and then hack away on the future?
>>

>> Always agree on it but IMHO we need to follow our process, i.e. beta-1
>> soon and 1.0. Beta-1 seems very easy to make according Jira and 1.0 is
>> mainly about schema or DTD.
>> After that, we need to support correctly the site-plugin and thus
>> release it as 2.0. Same things for PIR. I don't think there is any
>> rush to release Doxia. After all, Doxia has around 3 years of alpha ;)
>> Finally, I will be confident to start on Doxia 2.0 :)
>

> Here's what I'd like to do:
>
> - Release a last 1.0-alpha of Doxia, from the alpha branch
> - Update the Site plugin to use that released alpha of Doxia
> - Release maven-doxia-tools 1.0 and use that in the Site plugin
> - Release Site plugin 2.0-beta-7, moving the other issues slated for
> beta-7 to beta-8
> - Switch the Site plugin (2.0-beta-8-SNAPSHOT) over to use Doxia beta-1
> SNAPSHOT
> - Release Doxia beta-1
> - Release Site plugin beta-8 using Doxia beta-1
> - Start collecting a list of issues that blocks a Doxia 1.0 release
> - Push that list down to 0
> - Release Doxia 1.0
> - Release Site plugin 2.0

This sounds like a logical sequence of events, apart for one headache:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3402

If Maven always uses its embedded doxia sink api, then you can't just
switch the site plugin to doxia-beta-1, - you need a new maven core as
well. At least that's as far as I understand the issue, which is not
very far...

-Lukas