maven-doxia-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Need for onWords events (and more)?
Date Tue, 01 Jan 2008 18:36:09 GMT

On 31 Dec 07, at 5:10 AM 31 Dec 07, Vincent Massol wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been thinking about some use case we might have in XWiki and
>> I'm wondering how to solve them using Doxia.
>>
>> Imagine we want the rendering process to automatically look for
>> word definition on, say, wikipedia, and when found, highlight the
>> word and make the definition appear when the mouse hover over the
>> word.
>
> This is probably not the best use case since a better way of
> implementing this would be with a {definition} macro.
>
> Here's another one: adding support for wikiwords and render them as
> links.

I think adding word processing to the API would be a good thing.
That's probably a pretty common use case.

> Of course if this is a core feature it can be implemented in the
> parser itself. However in case of XWiki it's not a core feature but
> I know some users have asked for it. The way we currently support
> this is by allowing users to customize the rendering process by
> adding radeox filters. The way I would expect users to do it with
> Doxia would be by extending the XWiki Sink classes or providing
> their own Sink. I think it would be way harder to offer hook points
> into the parser for users.

I think if we covered all typographical formatting (bold, italic), and
word processing I think the API would be pretty complete. If you were
to do any sort of common processing like index a document with lucene
you need to get at the word tokens.

>> How would we do this with Doxia since there's no onWord event?
>
> Of course it's possible for the sinks to parse the strings passed to
> the text() event. However this is probably a job best left to the
> parsers IMO.

I think making an addition to the API to allow finer grained access to
the words would be great.

I think wiki-model might a little over the top with the things it
gives access to. I think if we look at your cases, and the common case
of indexing we'll find what level of granularity we need. But
processing words I think is something valuable to add.

> WDYT?
>
>> Wikimodel does have such an event (they even have events such as
>> onSpace and onSpecialSymbol, onEmptyLines, onEscape, etc):
>> http://tinyurl.com/yuuh2d
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent

Thanks,