maven-doxia-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Doxia Parsing API?
Date Mon, 31 Dec 2007 22:16:29 GMT

On 31 Dec 07, at 2:45 AM 31 Dec 07, Vincent Massol wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2007, at 11:20 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>
>> Hi Juan,
>>
>> Thanks for your email and sorry for my late answer, I've just seen
>> the mails now.
>>
>> I've started using the confluence parser as a starting point for
>> writing the XWiki parser. Re the speed, the confluence parser also
>> generates a Block Tree but I'm not sure how this affects
>> performance negatively.
>
> I can answer that... It'll matter for large documents since users
> would not start to see anything output before the end of the
> parsing. Modifying the parser to call traverse() whenever a block is
> created would be very easy to do though. I think I might add a flag
> for the xwiki parser to decide what to do.

Yah, modifying the parser to be more efficient would not be a problem.
I was never dealing with anything more then a couple k.

> However there are some cases where the full parsing is required. For
> example the XWiki TOC macro requires the full parsing to be done
> since it needs to know all the section headers. Of course a second
> level parsing could also be done, looking only for headers but that
> would affect the performance a bit. So for all macros that require
> the document structure for rendering we need the full parsing to be
> done first. However it's hard to know quickly if the document
> contains macros macros that work on the document structure and thus
> we might have to parse the whole doc anyway...
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent
>
>> FWIW I've run some quick tests between the JavaCC-generated parser
>> for XWiki that is in the wikimodel parser vs the "hand-written"
>> Confluence parser in Doxia (since confluence and xwiki are of
>> similar complexity for their syntaxes) and the result I got so far
>> is that the "hand-written" parser is faster so I've gone ahead and
>> used the "hand-written" confluence parser as a starting point.
>>
>> Thanks again
>> -Vincent
>>
>> On Dec 19, 2007, at 5:01 PM, Juan F. Codagnone wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Vicent,

>>> The confluence parser was made after the twiki parser by Jason.
>>>
>>> When i first wrote the twiki parser i felt that it was easier to
>>> make an adhoc
>>> parser instead of a generated one for a language that has many
>>> exceptions.
>>> (Also i was also reading a TDD book at that time, and i wanted to
>>> make some
>>> practice, and the adhoc parser was perfect)
>>>
>>> Here is the original post
>>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-doxia-dev/200511.mbox/%3c200511161959.22110.juam@users.sourceforge.net%3e
>>>
>>> Two years later i think it was a good decision. One developer that
>>> never saw
>>> the original code was conforable adding new language feature and
>>> bugfixes.
>>>
>>> In terms of of fast rendering mechanism, the twiki parser has a
>>> draback: it
>>> first builds a block tree (like a DOM tree), and then the block
>>> generates the
>>> events for the Sink.
>>>
>>> Juan.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Buenos Aires, Argentina                            22°C with winds
>>> at 9 km/h E

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
or who has said it,
not even if i have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense.