maven-doxia-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <>
Subject Re: Doxia Parsing API?
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:28:13 GMT

On 19 Dec 07, at 2:13 AM 19 Dec 07, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi,
> I'd like to implement a Doxia parser for XWiki. However I've noticed
> there's no standard in Doxia yet for parsing. Actually looking at
> Doxia confluence, twiki and Apt I see each does it with his own
> code. However the Confluence and TWiki implementations are very
> similar, each defining Block, BlockParser, etc.
> Is someone working on offering a parsing api in doxia so that:
> 1) duplications can be removed
> 2) people can more easily write parsers for different syntaxes
> Since my goal is to use Doxia as the rendering mechanism for XWiki
> I'd need the parser to be very fast (each request will lead to
> parsing the content). Does anyone have any idea how the Confluence
> parser compares for example with, say, a JavaCC-generated parser?

If you've written any recursive decent parsers then you can probably
make one that is faster then a generated one. Or if you have tons of
look ahead, or context switching the generator might be better if you
don't like writing parsers. But the wiki stuff is pretty simple and
the hand written parsers are probably pretty performant and can be
tuned. I can be hard to tune the generated parsers, you pretty much
get what it spits out.

> Thanks
> -Vincent

Jason van Zyl