maven-doxia-dev mailing list archives

From Lukas Theussl <ltheu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What should go into doxia 1.0-alpha-10?
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:05:35 GMT

Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> you guys realize that final versions of Maven have been using Doxia
> for quite some time now and the fact that it's being called alpha as
> an excuse to make more API changes, which will affect the future
> development of maven, instead of evolving the API in a backwards
> compatible way, it's not a good idea at all
>
> my 0.02

Doxia is not called alpha as an excuse for more API changes, it's called
alpha because it *is* alpha. Just have a look at the code. Have a look
at some open issues [eg DOXIA-38, DOXIA-63, DOXIA-78, DOXIA-99,
DOXIA-104,...] (and while your at it, tell me how to fix them without
affecting backwards compatibility :) ).

It has been mentioned and dicussed a few times on this list, that we
intent to stabilize the API with the first beta release. It's at least
half a year ago now that I drew up the roadmap for it, and basically all
the bug-fix issues scheduled for beta-1 are potentially going to affect
backwards compatibility. [1]

If people are not happy with that then let's put out alpha-10 as
1.0-final and call beta-1 2.0-alpha-30-SNAPSHOT. I'd feel uneasy voting
for the release, and my fear is that nothing will happen anymore after
that, but fine, if that is what makes people happy.

I have tried to collect input on some of the issues on confluence [2]
and on this list. It is discouraging to see how people are ignoring such
discussions, but as soon as they realize that some changes are going to
require some work on their part, they come up with prophetic
trivialities ('backward-incompatible changes are baaad') and useless
statements ('we've been using it so long', so what?).

Don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to get some constructive input,
because honestly, I would need it! :)

-Lukas

[1]
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/DOXIA?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel