maven-doxia-dev mailing list archives

From Lukas Theussl <ltheu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: List parsing with Confluence parser wrong?
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:21:50 GMT

Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The APT and Confluence parsers behave differently when parsing lists.
>
> The APT parser generates paragraph()/paragraph_() events for each  list
> item whereas the Confluence parser doesn't.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1) Who's right? This is very important since a Sink will output
> different results if the parsers behave differently

I think in this case the AptParser is wrong. I have recently modified
the xhtml sink [1] which, before, didn't emit paragraphs within list
items. I don't see a reason for that since paragraphs are legal and
significant in list items (ie <li>item</li> is different from
the
AptParser behavior remains to be corrected, it's one of the few reasons
why the apt module currently doesn't pass the identity test (see DOXIA-134).

> 2) How do we ensure parsers are correct in the events they send?

See related DOXIA-132. We don't have a mechanism yet to test parsing
events and since doxia is only about events (no object model), I don't
quite see how this can be done in general. In practice, I think the
standard is set by the AptParser, and the model emitted by the
SinkTestDocument, all parsers should try to be consistent with that.

> For 2), we should probably have an abstract test case similar to what
> is done in AbstractSinkTest for Sinks.

There is already an AbstractParserTest, it currently only does a simple
check with the WellformednessCheckingSink, but it should be extended.

HTH,
-Lukas

[1] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=583579