maven-doxia-dev mailing list archives

From Lukas Theussl <ltheu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Solving links and anchors
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:49:30 GMT
I also don't like disallowing dots in ids. Hhyphens ("-"), underscores
("_"), colons (":"), and periods (".") are perfectly legal in ids
according to the html specs, I don't see any reason why doxia should
replace them. Underscores where used in the m1 xdoc plugin to replace
any illegal characters, which I think is better than just stripping
them, for readability reasons (think section titles). However, the use
of automatically constructed ids from section titles was discouraged in
the last version of the xdoc plugin [1] as it only led to trouble (which
  btw very much reminds me of our current ones, see MPXDOC-158 and
MPPDF-40 for related discussions).

The root of the problem are the conventions used by aptconvert, and
apart from being undocumented, I don't really like them, so the question
is: how compatible do we want/have to stay with that?

If I am not mistaken, the issue should be solved simply by requiring
that links to other documents have to start with './' or '../', as I
indicated at DOXIA-47. The only problem then is backward compatibility,
since currently this is rarely the case (eg the project reports page in
the site plugin [2] uses

sink.link( report.getOutputName() + ".html" );

where report.getOutputName() doesn't start with './').

However, in principle I think this is the way it should work (and always
should have in the first place), so maybe we try to clear that up and
document it for beta-1?

Cheers,
-Lukas

[1]