maven-dev mailing list archives

From Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
Subject [DISCUSS] checking reproducible builds
Date Sat, 07 Mar 2020 10:36:58 GMT
Hi,

Yesterday, I made a key step forward for Reproducible Builds with Maven: I wrote code to easily
check that your local build produces the same binaries as the reference binaries published
either to staging or to Central repository.

For a live example, see the last paragraph of Maven Site Plugin vote that just started [1].

Process to check build output is based on a single plugin goal, currently named buildinfo:save
[2]:
1. it creates a buildinfo file during build recording output fingerprints, that will eventually
in the future be published to Central repository
2. it downloads reference artifacts and/or reference buildinfo and checks that the output
of the local build is the same as the reference.

Now I want to discuss: is it clear? can you test and report, please?

If the feedback is positive, the next question will be: in which plugin should we put this
goal to make a release and add it to our parent pom during release, so we publish reference
buildinfo along our reference binaries to Central repository.

Thanks for your feedback

Regards,

Hervé

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rd3af15d383ddceeb950cd90569e3dcdd6e5a0f5d3cd653ec534b0609%40%3Cdev.maven.apache.org%3E