maven-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Site Plugin version 3.8.1
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2019 20:03:28 GMT
Am 2019-07-04 um 13:12 schrieb Tibor Digana:
> Did you read the Jira and the commit in Git?
> It was written in the way to push Java 8 without any strong reason, sorry
> for that but it's truth.
> I would like to see v9.2 first (after v6) in 3.8.1 and then wait for Maven
> 3.7.0 which will go most probably with J8. We can release Site 3.9.0 and
> use it in bindings in Maven 3.7.0. So we will have strictly segregated
> Maven and plugins before MVN 3.7 and embedded plugins for MVN 3.7+. If we
> move one plugin to J8 then move all but do it for MVN 3.7+.
>
> We can see that our code may benefit from Lambda, no objections to it. But
> this movement needs to be organized in a similar way how we moved al our
> plugins to API 3.0. Using one plugin with J8 and not the other means, don't
> be afraid, chaos.

I have expressed the very same concerns. This is *not* my fault. People
demanded to upgrade to 9.4 because of "security" for test scope. Ridiculous.

Please raise another issue to roll this back and ping the previous
dicussion roster. See this one:
https://github.com/apache/maven-site-plugin/pull/3#issuecomment-437158167

Personally, absolutely see no reason to move to Java 8 unless I use Java
8 features.