maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Morrissey, Jozsef" <Morriss...@aetna.com>
Subject Dependency resolution
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2019 15:02:54 GMT
Hi,

My basic question is can a code base compiled entirely with maven built artifacts need any
dependencies not defined in the pom?

Background on my issue:
I have been unable to find technical documents describing how dependencies are resolved based
on the code base.

I am working for a company who is transferring legacy code to maven. These projects can contain
dozens of mystery jars. I can get the applications up and running using mavens dependency
information, however my higher ups want me to include all the mystery jars even if they do
not appear to be required.

While playing with a decompiler and trying to curdly map the dependencies myself, I have discovered
there are many imports which the maven configuration does not satisfy. This could easily be
explained if maven uses an inheritance tree to map source code files. i.e.

project1: A->B->C   &   D->B->E
project2: F->A

                In this scenario project2 would require A, B, and C, with no need to import
D and E.

It would be great to get confirmation that this is how maven works, or else I may be forced
to fill the companies nexus repository with garbage.

Thanks,
Jozsef Morrissey

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you think you have received
this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail
immediately. Thank you. Aetna