maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Scholte" <rfscho...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Retire Maven Repository Plugin
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2019 20:39:31 GMT
+1
On 23-4-2019 21:43:18, Robert Scholte <rfscholte@apache.org> wrote:
Hi,

The Apache Maven project consist of about 100 (sub)projects. Due to the small number of volunteers
and the huge amount of code to maintain we're missing enough space to make real progress on
all these projects, including our ambitious ideas for the next major version(s) of Maven
itself.
To be able to gain more focus we need to criticize the current subprojects and decide if
it is worth maintaining.

One of those subprojects is the maven-repository-plugin, last released on February 22, 2015.
It's main purpose: a plugin that can be used to create bundles of artifacts that can be uploaded
to the central repository.
Based on that it seems that the maven-assembly-plugin is a better fit for that.

I therefore propose that we retire the maven-repository-plugin.

I don't think it makes sense to do a final release. Instead we should update the documentation
and the freeze the codebase.

The process for retiring a plugin is described here:
https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html

The vote is open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Yes, it's about time
[ ] -1 No, because...