maven-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <p...@hammant.org>
Subject Re: Ojdbc7 dependency issue
Date Sat, 16 Mar 2019 14:20:02 GMT
Does 'central' need to be immutable though?  Feels like an arbitrary policy
to me. Or should there be workflows to remove items from there, and replace
with a 302?  While that could be to repos elswhere, they could also be to
HTML pages with mvn.exe handling that and communicating that clearly in the
build log.

Some ten years ago a mal-configured WebSense at an airline was flling a
corporate Maven cache jars and poms suffixes that were actually HTML error
pages. Maven choked silently then and I'm not sure it has ever been fixed.
In a quick test now, if I do "ls > ~/.m2/repository/foo/bar/baz.pom" (and
jar), the build fails with a proximate cause message. The jars and poms are
not checked again for correctness once in the cache. Anyway the jar/pom
ingesting side of Maven could easily handle deprecation, obsolesence and
outright deletion better than it does.