maven-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Question: EoL for Maven 3.0.5
Date Sun, 19 Aug 2018 09:24:06 GMT
Hi Robert,

On 17/08/18 12:07, Robert Scholte wrote:
> Hi Karl Heinz,
>
> Maven 3.0.5 is already EOL, meaning we don't develop on it anymore.

In the way you describe yes of course, but we haven't yet officially
announced that...

> If you talk about plugins supporting Maven 3 (not 3.0.5!), that's up to
> the plugin.
> In general I don't think there are that much API changes that will break
> the plugin.

No this is not what I'm talking about.. Keeping 3 compatiblity is just
fine.... only a few exceptions we might need to reconsider...but this is
a different thread.

> Assuming you're talking about maven-install-plugin and
> maven-deploy-plugin, the question should be:
> Can we require at least Maven 3.1.0 for these plugins so we can drop
> maven-artifact-transfer and simply use Eclipse Aether?

No...Ok yes patially but I wouldn't drop maven-artifact-transfer cause
using Eclipse Aether isn't that simple as the word "simply" implies...

Using maven-artifact-transfer makes it easier in plugins and extentions
to handle different scenarios....and prevents code duplications etc.

and no I woudln't say to require Maven 3.1.0 as minimum, cause we have
not yet lifted all plugins to Maven 3 minimum....

That would be the next step after a Time (which might be discussed about
what amount of time we think it makes sense) of Announcing 3.0.5 EoL...

> This is for me a valid case to ask this question, for most others I'd
> like to stay Maven 3.0 compatible when possible, it makes communication
> a LOT easier :)

Yes of course.

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise