maven-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Desruisseaux <martin.desruisse...@geomatys.com>
Subject Re: Folder structure for Java 9 project?
Date Wed, 02 May 2018 08:58:41 GMT
Hello Robert

Le 30/04/2018 à 21:00, Robert Scholte a écrit :

> All seems to fall back to an issue with the maven-javadoc-plugin. What
> if we try to fix that first?

That would help a lot. Getting Maven javadoc:aggregate goal to work
would address maybe 95% of the needs. But Javadoc is not the only Java
tools working on many Jigsaw modules at once. For example I don't know
today how to run annotation processors (with javac) on many modules at
once with Maven layout. Admittedly few peoples may want to do that, but
those who want may find it difficult currently. If we wanted that
functionality with Maven, we may need a kind of "javac:aggregate" goal.
There is also other Java tools working on many modules at once are
(jlink, …), but I do not yet know the implications for them.

Even for Javadoc, being able to use a Jigsaw layout may open interesting
possibilities. It would allow to create separated multi-modules javadoc
for different parts of a project. For example a multi-modules javadoc
for the core, and another multi-modules javadoc for the examples. An
example of such separation is proposed at [1] (proposal only - not yet
applied).

I was thinking if it could be another packaging mode, similar to
<packaging>war</packaging>? Implications:

  * For maven-javac-plugin and maven-javadoc-plugin, the main
    implications would be:
      o to replace the --source-path option by --module-source-path;
      o unconditionally (i.e. no need to scan for module-info.java)
        replace the -classpath option by --module-path when depending on
        another Maven artifact using this packaging;
      o no need anymore to fix Maven javadoc:aggregate goal.
  * The maven-jar-plugin could execute jar on each Jigsaw module; I have
    verified that java --module-path /<directory>/ works if
    /<directory>/ contains JAR files of Jigsaw modules, so other Maven
    plugins using Java tools can still handle the output as if it was a
    single Maven artifact, with a single --module-path option.

What about drafting a proposal on a Wiki page (or any other support)?

    Martin

[1] https://github.com/opengeospatial/geoapi/issues/30