maven-dev mailing list archives

From Tibor Digana <tibordig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JDK 11 Early Access build 12 available
Date Tue, 08 May 2018 09:36:04 GMT
In our company we are still thinking of adding some kind of Multitenancy,
but the problem is that Java EE is not designed for multitenancy.
The reason and problem why multitenancy is the fact that Java Heap
allocates more memory than active objects actually use.
When you have a lot of Microservices == JVMs then maybe 40% of native
memory is unused.

Is there any JVM which "shrinks" at least shrinks the native memory
consumption so that the Java Heap is cca == Native Consumption at most of
the time?
If this is not possible then something else would be possible in Oracle's
JVM and it is the ability to have one "macro process". This means if you
run an application "java -jar *.jar" then still every such app will share
common heap/sandbox with every other, but the memory inside would be well
isolated. Then the Unused native memory would be better dynamically shared
by Microservices. The fact is that not all Microservices would need to have
reserved unused memory permanently and not all would need to allocate it
only because of a short memory increase during e.g. one second.

Cheers
Tibor