maven-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: [IMPORTANT CHANGE] building and publishing our website from Jenkins and Git instead of CMS
Date Fri, 11 May 2018 11:59:43 GMT

Hi Hervé,

I could imagine that it could still work. As far as I understand all the gitpubsub and svnpubsub,
what generally happens, is that the HTTPD server serving a projects website is just a directory.
And the pubsubs just pull changes from a source to the static files directory of the projects
HTTPD instance. Infra sets up jobs to pull from a VCS source and push to a directory. So it
should be possible to mix at the target. If however the current setup is for multiple builds
to push to a central website VCS, then I agree that with this setup it would be difficult,
but eventually worth changing (Eventually even setting up a maven-components svn as target
for all of this)

The reason for splitting up, was that in our case we wanted unit-test results, code-coverage
etc. to be part of the site, this requires us to execute the unit- and integration-tests ...
but executing the unit-test on the git-website node would needlessly block resources on these
nodes. That's why with this setup we only use the ubuntu machines for publishing to nexus,
the git-website nodes for updating the site asf-site branch and use our project VM build node
for all other steps (We do low level network packet manipulation stuff there ... that's why
we run our tests on a dedicated machine).

Well I don't have a strong opinion on SVN or GIT as site-repo, I prefer GIT over SVN in general
and I like having all things together. But besides that, I just thought I'd point out other
options.

Chris