maven-dev mailing list archives

From dalibor topic <dalibor.to...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: JDK 11 Early Access build 12 available
Date Thu, 10 May 2018 10:13:47 GMT

On 09.05.2018 23:35, Tibor Digana wrote:
 > I still do not have the answer regarding language features.

Apologies for that - your email about language features didn't contain
any question marks, so it seemed to be just a statement of your
opinions. Since opinions are not questions, I didn't consider that you
were looking for a reply.

> Why Oracle
> did not implement more language improvements after Java 1.8?

Firstly, there was the introduction of the module system, which was the
major Java programming language improvement in Java SE 9. Please see
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se9/html/jls-7.html#jls-7.7 for
details.  In addition, Java SE 9 contained some smaller language
improvements, as described at
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/language/toc.htm#JSLAN-GUID-B06D7006-D9F4-42F8-AD21-BF861747EDCF

.

Secondly, Java SE 10 introduced local variable type inference, another
language improvement as described at
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/10/language/toc.htm#JSLAN-GUID-7D5FDD65-ACE4-4B3C-80F4-CC01CBD211A4

.

For Java SE 11, it's planned to refine that feature further as discussed
at http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/323 .

Further ideas for Java programming language improvements are being
explored in Project Amber (see http://openjdk.java.net/projects/amber/
for details) for smaller changes, and Project Valhalla (see
http://openjdk.java.net/projects/valhalla/ for details) for larger ones,
like value types.

> For instance value objects. Is this in 9, 10 or 11? I could not find it.

Assuming you mean value types, they are not targetted for any release
yet, as they are still being explored in Project Valhalla.

> What about descriptive language and features? Is it possible in Java?

Assuming you mean data classes, as in
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~briangoetz/amber/datum.html , they are being
explored in Project Amber. They are not targetted for any release yet,
either.

If you're interested in following (or contributing to) the development
of Project Amber and Project Valhalla, details of the features being
explores, code, etc. I would suggest subscribing to their mailing lists,
as linked off the respective web pages above.

cheers,
dalibor topic

--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961
<tel:+491737185961>

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Kühnehöfe 5 | 22761 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG