maven-dev mailing list archives

From Plamen Totev <plamen.iv.to...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: plexus-archiver / plexus-util Issue
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2018 18:47:23 GMT
Hi,

On 12/28/2017 10:16 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 28/12/17 20:46, Stephen Connolly wrote:
>> But shouldn’t we be copying the last modified time stamp always anyway
>
> I'm the same opinion...but that means in consequence that the test in
> plexus-archiver is not correct...cause it's waiting for a change in the
> last-modified time ...
>
> Hm...
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Plexus Archiver tests are using file copy operation to change the
"last modified" timestamp of a file. This of course is not a perfect
approach but I don't think there was better one pre-Java 7. But now as
Java 7 is the minimum required version, there is
Files#setLastModifiedTime that does better job. I've created a PR that
changes the incompatible code[1]. It will allow the update of Plexus
Utils to 3.1.0 as well.

> After I have changed that and only use
>
>     public static File copy( File source, File target )
>         throws IOException
>     {
>         Path copy = Files.copy( source.toPath(), target.toPath(),
>                    StandardCopyOption.REPLACE_EXISTING,
>                    LinkOption.NOFOLLOW_LINKS );
>         return copy.toFile();
>     }
>
> it looks like working (see branch issue-fix):
>
> What Do you think?

The Plexus Archiver tests were not using `copy` for its intended
purpose so the decision if the file attributes are copied should not
be based on their usage. To me it makes more sense to copy the
attributes, although copying the last modified timestamp may surprise
some evelopers (like me for example) as `cp` on Linux updates the last
modified timestamp of the copy.

Regards,
Plamen Totev

[1]  https://github.com/codehaus-plexus/plexus-archiver/pull/77