maven-dev mailing list archives

From Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Allowed characters in GAV and how/where to sanitize?
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2018 07:43:56 GMT
notice that Central contains artifacts produced by Maven but also by other
tools: I did some analysis myself and found strange things also that are
clearly not produced by Maven. Scala for example produces some artifacts that
I doubt could be referenced by Maven.

Then: what do we call "broken"?
Something that seems "clearly" related to a typo?
Something that can't be consumed by Maven?
Something that people who produced the release (with any tooling) won't
consume for syntactic reasons on the result? Something that they won't consume
for other reasons? (like for example because it's continuous deployment and
it's the 4th version of the day)

And what can we do?
On the past artifacts, removing anything is not really an option: IMHO, the
issue does not deserve the effort and to break our base rule about
inalterability.
On the future, perhaps we can do something:
- at Maven level, sure we can and we should improve controls as much as
possible
- on other build tools: perhaps we should try not only to implement checks in
Maven but also document rules for other tools to implement same rules
- on repo managers used by the publishers: same rules documentation
prerequisite, but other tools target
- on sync to central: this is the only location where some rules can be
checked for absolutely any new artifact then really interesting at a first
glance. But making rules evolve at this level is really hard since there is no
real feedback process I know of when base Central publication rules are not
met. Base Central publication rules were defined from the beginning (signature,
...), then are implemented by publishers' repo managers. I suppose failed
controls done by sync to central (then sync blocked) are rare: I'm not sure
there is a strong process/tooling. And adding it would cost some management:
not easy. IMHO, we should start by first detecting if there are really issues
on new artifacts these days before trying to take actions at this level.

Regards,

Hervé