maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Scholte" <rfscho...@apache.org>
Subject Download links
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2017 11:27:49 GMT
This topic deserves a separate mailthread.

Quoting Sebb on a different thread:
"The download link points to the top-level of the ASF mirror system.

This makes it very hard to use."

AFAIK the ASF says there should be a download button for every released
product.
In case of Maven we're talking about a lot of projects, and downloads
should be redirected via a mirror.
I don't think it is possible to do a deeplink to a specific folder.

Also, in case of Maven plugins and other dependencies (all excluding the
Maven distribution itself) it is kind of strange to provide a download
link when we could assume that they only want to have the
plugin/dependency XML fragment.

I agree that the link is kind of useless right now, but also the best we
can do when providing a direct download link.
If there's no way to do a deeplink, I'd prefer to remove it from the pages
and announcements.

thanks,
Robert