maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Scholte" <rfscho...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven 4.0.0
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2017 21:42:23 GMT
On Sat, 04 Nov 2017 21:42:34 +0100, Mark Derricutt <mark@talios.com> wrote:

> Would adding support for 2 new scopes be viable without changing the pom
> model ( the DTD/XSD doesn't actually define the values so that should be
> ok).
>
> Specifically I'm thinking 'annotation' ( having annotationPaths on m-c-p
> was a workaround, but kinda horrible in practice ), and maybe "module"
> for
> the new module path?

I would like to drop strict scopes in general and give plugins the
opportunity to depend on specific scoped dependencies.
I hope you are aware that modules already end up on the modulepath based
on the moduledescriptor(s). So I don't see the need for this scope.
(unless you have this wish that in the end Maven will create the module
descriptor based on this, but I still think we shouldn't do that)

> On the topic of scopes, I'd love to see an _actual_ compile-time-only
> scope, thats only at compilation.  I wonder, since the scope values are
> not
> actually set in the DTD/XSDs, could the internals be altered to say a CSV
> of scopes, with the default being "compile,test" which would cover
> current
> behaviour - but if you specifically say "this is a compile only
> dependency"
> then it literally is.

I recognize this wish. The best solution is to make the dependency
optional.