maven-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Maven 4.0.0
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2017 12:20:18 GMT
The past two days, Hervé, Robert and I have been discussing our next steps.

I think we have a semi-consensus which I want to bring back to the list:

We keep 3.5.x as a stable branch with critical bug fixes only

We switch master to 4.0.0 and start to burn down a release scope.

4.0.0 will not change the pom modelVersion

The 4.0.0 scope should probably be:

Required:
* drop Java 7, switch codebase to Java 8 idioms (while maintaining binary
api compatibility for plugins)
* specify the classloader behaviour and fix impl to align with spec (may
need a plugin flag to allow plugins to opt in to spec behaviour)
* specify the extension spec
* allow limited mutation of the runtime model (reducing transitive
dependencies for consumers within the reactor, only for plugin goals that
declare intent) use case: shade plugin
* better CI integration hooks
* nice error message for newer pom modelVersion

Optional:
* (damn I forgot, maybe Robert remembers)
--
Sent from my phone