maven-dev mailing list archives

From Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Maven resolver branch consolidation
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2017 22:05:14 GMT
it seems I have not been clear: I'll try to explain better

1. maven-resolver-ant-tasks depends on maven-resolver-provider (from Maven
core)
2. maven-resolver-provider (then Maven core) depends on maven-resolver

if we put maven-resolver-ant-tasks in the same reactor than maven-resolver, we
can't release any maven-resolver API change that breaks maven-resolver-
provider

example: if we move maven-resolver code to org.apache.maven java package in
maven-resolver 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT, we need maven-resolver-provider 4.0.0-SNAPSHOT
that uses maven-resolver 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT with this new java package. Then try
to release anything: you can't, unless you don't try to release maven-
resolver-ant-tasks

(the consequence on version consistency is another way to describe the issue,
but that is more subtle, then I chose to describe the most visible issue, with
API breaking change)

IMHO, another consequence could be: maven-resolver-ant-tasks would perhaps
better be versionned like maven-resolver-provider

Merging resolver-demos is really the great big idea: with that merge,
modifying maven-rresolver can immediately be tested with demos: that'll be so
much easier to make changes to maven-resolver code!

Regards,

Hervé