maven-dev mailing list archives

From Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Maven resolver branch consolidation
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2017 12:31:02 GMT
Hi,

I like the idea of simplification: I just factorized mavenVersion property to
parent pom.

I have only one fear: what happens when the API changes in an incompatible way
then we must release maven-artifact-resolver, then maven-resolver provider,
then ant-tasks and demos.

AFAIK, this chicken and egg issue is exactly why everything was released in 3
independent components (with associated complexity that I'd like also to
remove)

What about creating a "withMavenProvider" module where we could put ant tasks
and demos, which would define the mavenVersion property?
In case of such breaking change, we would just have to skip this module (and
its sub-modules) for the API breaking release, then once the new compatible
Maven provider is released, we could continue "the simple way"

this would give us the benefit of being simple in general, and have just
something a little more complex in special incompatible cases.
Here, it would be "bizarre", since would bring a partial release for artifact
resolver.

Another "bizarre effect" of this way of releasing is:
Artifact Resolver 1.1.1 will provide Ant Tasks and demos using Maven Resolver
Provider 3.5.0, but Maven Resolver Provider 3.5.3 (or 3.6.0 or 4.0.0) will be
the first using Artifact Resolver 1.1.1

Perhaps there is another simplification idea that would avoid this issue:
- merge demos in artifact resolver master, since demos are never really
released
- let Ant Tasks in an independent branch (or component one day)

Regards,

Hervé