maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Scholte" <rfscho...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT] Re: Please retweet and vote
Date Sun, 10 Sep 2017 18:54:15 GMT
On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 20:21:11 +0200, Stephen Connolly
<stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun 10 Sep 2017 at 19:04, Tibor Digana <tibordigana@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Are we facing new API regarding networking and security useful in Java
>> 8?
>>
>> When I first saw these options I asked myself what benefit would have
>> the
>> User and Jenkins from Java 8.
>> And second question was whether we would be so flexible to rewrite the
>> code
>> and use Lambda fully anywhere in the code.
>

> There is the social aspect. If you are a potential new contributor to
> Maven
> and you look at our heavy Java 1.3 convention codebase (ok, I'm being a
> demagogue, it's had a bit updated to 5.0) are you going to be encouraged
> step forward?
>
> How can you make small improvements and demonstrate you are a safe pair
> of
> hands to gain the commit bit?
>
> Now if we have the opertunity to make lots of tidy up and you can show
> you
> are a safe pair of hands, retaining binary compatibility with older
> plugins, making the code more readable, finding file handle leaks, etc...
> well now you have a welcome path to demonstrate your skills.... while
> gaining familiarity with the codebase so that when we turn around to
> start
> on Maven 5.0.x you can join in the fun.
>
> Now that is not a technical argument, but we are a community first... so
> maybe the technical arguments are not so right to push!

bq. but we are a community first

What's the definition of community: the large user group or the few we're
hoping to find who can help working on Maven?
And if we're focusing on the latter, shouldn't the twitter question be:

I want to become a Maven developer
[] right now!
[] only if Maven requires Java 8 ( so I can use lambda's, etc.)
[] never, let others do the job
[] other...