maven-dev mailing list archives

From Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [MNG-6164] Collections inconsistently immutable
Date Sun, 28 May 2017 11:01:41 GMT
I'm not confident on this one.

I understand the inconsistency issue, that may lead to edge-case issues in
plugins or extensions (that unexpectedly get an immutable empty list when they
usually get a modifiable non-empty list)

Is it the right solution to change every non-empty list to immutable?
Why wouldn't be the solution to make every returned empty list mutable?
Or a mix: on some cases, immutable is a good feature, but on others consistent
mutable would be the good choice?

Do you know how many plugins or extensions this update will break?
I know that consistent breaks are better than inconsistent breaks (on empty
lists), but is it the right time to take such risk?

I know that core ITs pass: that does not mean that external plugins won't
break (thousands in Central only, I don't know how many corporate plugins
exist)

How many cases are changed? In which areas of Maven API?
That is the information I need to vote for this change, knowing the effective
impact it will have

Regards,

Hervé

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6164