maven-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schulte ...@schulte.it>
Subject Re: maven git commit: [MNG-6182] ModelResolver interface enhancements.
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2017 15:47:45 GMT
Am 03/10/17 um 10:42 schrieb Robert Scholte:
> Having a closer look at this commit, I actually don't like the idea that
> ModelResolver now supports versionRanges.
> IMO the version should always be specific *before* resolving the model.
> IIUC correctly this is required to supported version-ranges for managed
> dependencies, and that is also something I wonder if we want that.
>
> Please let us reconsider this commit.

You do notice the parent resolution is part of that interface since
Maven 3.2.2? I just added the same logic for dependencies to support
version ranges in dependency management import declarations. Version
ranges are supported everywhere but dependency management _import_
declarations. We already agreed that this is a bug fix and this would
have been part of Maven 3.4.0, if we would not have dropped it due to
the resolver changes. MNG-4463 has been reported in JIRA 23/Nov/09
09:39! It's tiresome to discuss things committed in 2014 now. See the
'ModelResolver' interface from Maven 3.2.2. It already contains that
logic for 'Parent' model objects.

<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=commitdiff;h=045bd1503b70738ffd0fa08e336574107aded801>

The new method in 3.5.0 for 'Dependency' model objects will only be used
to support version ranges in dependency management _import_ declarations
coming in 3.5.1.

<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=commit;h=d0911ac57dccb758435cdfd3495121ec9f0ae1b4>

Regards,
--