maven-dev mailing list archives

From Tibor Digana <tibordig...@apache.org>
Subject Lets talk about our changes openly. maven-surefire git commit: [SUREFIRE-1324] Surefire incorrectly suppresses exceptions when closing resources.
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2017 14:42:08 GMT
I also have such feeling that Maven became a playground.
Last week I saw it in reality and after Robert told me we made playground
in our sources I could not believe this could happen in such professional
project like Maven.

I would appreciate it if the change [1]
e5a6b9c8d4f514100a01dea2acf1fb059e294968 was reverted in Surefire and a new
pull request was open at GitHub making the code review.
I use to do this with myself with big changes and I am waiting for anyone
in the PR. We are doing the same with one excellent guy from another ASF
project who is supporting us with JUnit 5 addons and this works pretty well.

The situation in Surefire is quite ambitious to release Versions 2.19.2 and
3.0.0-RC1 in parallel with 2.19.3 JDK9 support and JUnit 5 support now in
January.

The problem is that these Surefire three plugins are so easy to crash with
whatever changes and therefore I implemented dumping internal errors to
dump files which will help us investigate two Jira issues - critical and
blocker. And there are much more thinks to talk about the features...

I would really appreciate if we could behave like ordinal users in our
project and provide a pull request in GitHub and call for code review.
This does not mean only Surefire.

So now please revert last change [1] and let's start from the ground.
We should again learn from the beginning and start communicating in the
community; otherwise this is the end of the project.

[1]
https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-surefire.git&a=commit&h=e5a6b9c8d4f514100a01dea2acf1fb059e294968

We can talk about more visions, or I can open Wiki for such talks which I
think we will appreciate because everybody can add her/his visions.

WDYT?

Cheers
Tibor