maven-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schulte ...@schulte.it>
Subject Re: maven-wagon git commit: [MRESOLVER-9] DefaultDependencyCollector does not correctly handle dependency management.
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2016 00:15:16 GMT
Am 12/14/16 um 23:29 schrieb Michael Osipov:
> I just hit the same issue with the Maven Clean Plugin:
> plexus-container-default is missing on the classpath.
>
> I think that Christian does the right thing, either adjusting code to
> documentation or the other way around. We just need to agree what is the
> right thing and change the problematic spot accordingly.
>
> Don't having compile, runtime and test scoped transitive deps of a
> direct test dependency doesn't look right to me. There must be some
> reason why this decision was made eons ago.

That could be another bug.

A -> B (test) -> C (compile)

When we say "Test scope is not transitive", C should not be resolved as
well. That's just another inconsistency. We have B in test scope and so
all transitive dependencies of B implicitly will become test scope. That
scope is not transitive, so C and all other transitive dependencies of B
should not be resolved. It's really still inconsistent.

> At the end, I certainly agree with Robert.

If we make "test" scope really consistently non-transitive, we'll soon
all agree that this makes no sense, IMHO.

Regards,
--
Christian