maven-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Would Commons Lang on Java 8 be a problem for the Apache Maven project?
Date Sun, 25 Sep 2016 14:11:22 GMT
Hello Robert,

just watched your JavaOne presentation. Very interesting :-)

Robert Scholte <rfscholte@apache.org> schrieb am So., 25. Sep. 2016 um
13:48 Uhr:

> It depends. If you are changing existing methods to only work with Java8,
> that would be a problem (read: we cannot upgrade). If you have both Java8
> and pre-Java8 implementations, either by reflection or proper encapsulated
> code it'll work for us.
> We do it ourselves too[1]
>
> for us it would be nice if the target is still 1.7
>
> if ( isJava8() )
> { // do java8 stuff }
> else
> { do classic stuff } )
>
> if the java8 stuff uses reflection, you can build it with JDK7, otherwise
> you must use JDK8

We're thinking about adding APIs for dealing with e.g. Functions. So
maven.compiler.source and maven.compiler.target would be 1.8. This would
require downstream user to also compile with Java 8. If I understand
correctly, this would be a problem for Maven, right?

Regards,
Benedikt