maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Scholte" <rfscho...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building jar targeting multiple Java versions, including 9
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2016 14:39:52 GMT
Hi Paul,

no problem to move it to this thread. It is indeed about "The Maven Way",
although we may need to start from the beginning, explaining the issue
we're facing.

Let's use ASM as an example, their 6.0_ALPHA has been built like this,
although without Maven.
ASM is an all purpose Java bytecode manipulation and analysis framework.
IIRC their code is compatible with Java 1.2, but they've also added a
module-info for those who want to use this dependency within a
Java9/Jigsaw project.
module-info MUST be built with Java9 with source/target or release = 9.
Other sources must be built with an older JDK with source/target 1.2

There are several ways to solve this:
- multi-module project and multi release jar like Paul suggest. However,
IIRC the specs say that the module-info MUST exist in the root.
- 2 source folders, src/main/java and src/main/jigsaw, both writing to
target/classes. Here it is quite clear what happens per source-folder.
- 1 source folder and all the magic of calling javac twice in the
maven-compiler-plugin. I started with this, but I don't like it. Details
are below.
- 1 source folder and 2 execution blocks (one excluding module-info, one
only including module-info).

We shouldn't be looking at Maven alone, but also at IDE support. AFAIK
Netbeans and IntelliJ simply call Maven. Eclipse is probably hard due to
the m2eclipse extensions.

Now back to Pauls suggestion. I don't think we make developers very happy
if they are advised to have a multimodule project just to be able to
compile the module-info file.
I am aware that this is mainly an issue for library builders, end users
simply build everything with Java9, no problems there. From library
builders you can expect that they don't mind adding extra configuration to
build their jar, but forcing them to set up a Maven multimodule project is
not really nice.
I would expect the module-info close to the related sourcefiles, so I
would prefer in the same (single) MavenProject.

*Unless* IDEs are so strong with handling multi release jars that it looks
like I'm adjusting the module-info, even though it is actually located
somewhere else.

So let's see the opinions from others.

thanks,
Robert