maven-dev mailing list archives

From Norbert Wnuk <norbertw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MNG-5930 - lack of system properties expansion
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2016 20:37:01 GMT
Hi Karl,
In our case this is mostly a matter of the paradigm where (hundreds of)
projects are simple to setup & contribute, part of it is to have entire
configuration in the repository - close to the source code. From maven
perspective to have project specific settings.xml to adjust mirrors (yes -
there are projects with their own repository manager), servers and
sometimes proxies (things that cannot be defined in a pom.xml). Project
specific settings.xml (-s) allows also to avoid problems with users
specific overrides, (i.e. from multiple other projects) in their
.m2/settings.xml, for frequent switches between projects. MNG-4686
describes very similar use case except I prefer to have single settings.xml
file in .mvn directory to indicate project specific settings.xml by
convention.
The problem with .mvn/maven.config now is that settings.xml location must
be absolute to be able to invoke mvn command from sub-project level -
MNG-5859/MNG-5790. MNG-5930 is not my use case since I need only
${maven.multiModuleProjectDirectory}
expansion to effectively access all files in the repository. Generally
would like to have .mvn/settings.xml location treated the same like
extensions.xml / jvm.config / maven.config however the approach with
maven.config and ${maven.multiModuleProjectDirectory} property / all system
properties expansion seems to be less intrusive and slightly more generic.

Regards,
NW