maven-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Benedict <pbened...@apache.org>
Subject Re: POM Model version 4.1.0 in 3.4.0-SNAPSHOTs
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2016 21:35:00 GMT
On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Robert Scholte <rfscholte@apache.org>
wrote:

> I think that all the fields of a dependency are quite complete. Based on
> the issues I see with moving forward with Aether is that the (complex)
> dependency resolution is done inside Maven. The idea is to not calculate
> this anymore, but add all transitive dependencies to the consumer pom.
> This would hopefully remove the discussion what all the dependencies are,
> since they're already summed up.
> Stephen already started with a list of items which should be added the
> consumer-pom.

Robert, I am mostly in agreement here. However, the big downside to
deploying the calculations is that they are forever. Furthermore, deploying
the "consumer pom" takes away the ability for a newer Maven client with
resolution bug fixes and/or optimizations to build a leaner and more
efficient calculation.

By the time we have the first complete definitions, we should compare it
> with the experiences at Subversion.

The experiences at Subversion are relevant for producing the "consumer pom"
locally. I am arguing that Maven clients should automatically produce and
cache (install) the "consumer pom" as part of the download of the normal
build POM. You get the benefits you're advocating, plus the ones I am
mentioning.

Cheers,
Paul