maven-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schulte ...@schulte.it>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] finishing Aether import: help find a new name
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2016 21:32:11 GMT
It's just a name - I know. Personally, I disagree with 'resolver'. It's
so much more. It also abstracts the transfers/transports etc. It is an
abstraction to manage and access a repository (whatever that may mean)
of artifacts (whatever that may mean) by employing a special directory
structure and file naming convention we may want to call "Maven Artifact
Repository Specification". Please. Do not call it "resolver". That's
just one tiny part of all of this. Just in case:

+1 for calling it "resolver", although in my opinion that is a really
misleading name to use.

Am 08/03/16 um 22:48 schrieb Michael Osipov:
> Am 2016-08-03 um 22:04 schrieb Jason van Zyl:
>> Using org.apache.maven.resolver instead org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver for the
package names is more consistent with the other naming in that document.

> Maves sense, probably this project should be named
> maven.a.o/artifact-resolver
>
> maven-artifact-resolver.git and org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver
>
> It would make it consistent.
>
>>> On Aug 3, 2016, at 12:30 PM, herve.boutemy@free.fr wrote:
>>>
>>> true: I know it sounded familiar... :)
>>>
>>> this artifact seems used by maven-remote-resources-plugin only
>>>
>>> And if you look at the content, it contains a little helper to resolve dependencies:
we should probably deprecate it at the end