maven-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de>
Subject Suggestions for Plugins / Shared Components
Date Fri, 06 May 2016 20:00:16 GMT
Hi to all,

I would like to suggest to keep the version number of the plugins and
shared components to the following format (and may be also things we are
using like plexus?):

Major.Minor.Patch(-SNAPSHOT):

(Following SemVer.org):

So adding a new functionality which will not break the 3.0.X parts...so
you can upgrade without breaking...for example:

3.0.23

now adding a new functionality which does not influence the older one
should be:

3.1.0

So we should prevent changing it to:

3.1

So introducing a break in API must change the Major version and would
look like this:

4.0.0 and 4.0

So consistently using a three number form Major.Minor.Patch ..
Othwerise it's not a clear line from the user perspective...At the
moment we have the chance to make things better than in the past...

WDYT ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise