maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>
Subject Re: RFC on MNG-6003: Drastically reduce JAVA_HOME discovery code
Date Sun, 17 Apr 2016 15:24:44 GMT
So will the proposed behavior be I upgrade Maven, I don’t have JAVA_HOME set manually and
Maven will error out?

> On Apr 15, 2016, at 1:34 PM, Michael Osipov <michaelo@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> we all know that people once in a while complain that my JAVA_HOME is not properly discovered
on $PLATFORM, etc. Surprisingly, we require JAVA_HOME to be set in the installation documentation,
yet we discover it anyway. This is a contradiction. Moreover, our discovery mechanism can
never be complete and won't. It bloats.

> In MNG-6003 [1], I propose to throw away all of this code and solely rely on the dev's
input. If he/she it not able to set it properly, he/she shouldn't write code at all. Most
of the time, on Unix/Linux, this isn't even necessary because a JDK is installed by default.

> I have created a feature branch [1] for this. If no one objects, I will merge this into
master.

> The change have been tested with, without JAVA_HOME and invalid JAVA_HOME on
>
> * Windows 10
> * Cygwin (Git Bash)
> * Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (from /home as well as /opt and with symlinks from /usr/local/bin)
> * FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE (from /home as well as from /usr/local and with symlinks from
/usr/local/bin)

> Please have a look especially on your platform.
>
> Michael
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6003
> [2] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=commitdiff;h=196234a95f7d5ade0b0b905308c2083e856cd121

Thanks,