maven-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
Subject RFC on MNG-6003: Drastically reduce JAVA_HOME discovery code
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2016 20:34:29 GMT
Hi folks,

we all know that people once in a while complain that my JAVA_HOME is
not properly discovered on $PLATFORM, etc. Surprisingly, we require
JAVA_HOME to be set in the installation documentation, yet we discover
it anyway. This is a contradiction. Moreover, our discovery mechanism
can never be complete and won't. It bloats.

In MNG-6003 [1], I propose to throw away all of this code and solely
rely on the dev's input. If he/she it not able to set it properly,
he/she shouldn't write code at all. Most of the time, on Unix/Linux,
this isn't even necessary because a JDK is installed by default.

I have created a feature branch [1] for this. If no one objects, I will
merge this into master.

The change have been tested with, without JAVA_HOME and invalid JAVA_HOME on

* Windows 10
* Cygwin (Git Bash)
* Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (from /home as well as /opt and with symlinks from
/usr/local/bin)
* FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE (from /home as well as from /usr/local and with
symlinks from /usr/local/bin)

Please have a look especially on your platform.

Michael

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6003
[2]
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=commitdiff;h=196234a95f7d5ade0b0b905308c2083e856cd121